The Fathom-X Tether Interface Boards provide a high-speed, long-distance Ethernet connection to an ROV or other remote platform. They’re designed for use with the Fathom tether, standard Cat5 cable, or even a single twisted pair of wires. This board uses the Rak Wireless LX200V20 module, which leverages the robust HomePlug AV (IEEE-1901) standard for sending Ethernet through powerlines.
The Fathom-X board is also part of the Advanced ROV Electronics Package and works well in conjunction with the Raspberry Pi, Pixhawk, and ArduSub Control Software.
- 80 Mbps Ethernet over two wires (per our own bandwidth testing)
- 300m+ tether length capability (published capability of 2000m)
- Plug-and-play with no setup involved
- Onboard switching power supply with 7-28V input range
- USB Mini-B connector for powering directly from a computer on the topside
- Indicator LEDs for power, link, and data
- Included 6” Ethernet cable for connection to onboard computer
- Connect two wires from the tether cable to the terminal block
- Power each board with either a USB connection or a 7-28V input to the small terminal block
- Connect an Ethernet cable and the connection should become active immediately
|Supply Voltage||Terminal Block||7-28 volts|
|Supply Voltage||USB||5 volts|
|Max Power Draw||–||2.5 Watts|
|Max Practical Bandwidth||80 Mbps|
|Physical Layer Bandwidth||200 Mbps|
|Working Frequency||2-30 MHz|
|Max Tether Length (Published)||2000 m|
|Max Tether Length (Tested)||300 m|
|Operating Temperature||-20 to +85°C|
|Storage Temperature||-40 to +85°C|
|USB Connector Type||USB Mini B Female|
|Tether Wire Gauge||12-30 AWG|
|Power Wire Gauge||16-26 AWG|
|Dimensions||64 x 46 mm|
|Screw Hole Spacing||57 x 40 mm|
|Screw Hole Diameter||3.3 mm|
In most cases, the Fathom-X setup is simple. Once powered, it acts as a transparent Ethernet bridge to extend any Ethernet connection through the tether.
The four screw holes are identical to those on the Fathom-S ROV board, so they can be interchanged quickly.
The Fathom-X board can be use with the Fathom-S board to provide the features of both, simultaneously. Additionally, the screw hole pattern is identical so that they can be stacked together with stand-offs.
The use both board together:
Connect the tether wires to the Fathom-S board normally.
Add jumpers between “Pair 4” on the Fathom-S board and the large terminal block on Fathom-X. Connect 4+ to “+” on the terminal block and 4- to “-“ on the terminal block.
That’s it, both boards will function normally, including the power on/off feature of the Fathom-S board.